For a small town in Oklahoma, Durant truly has an event for everyone. Whether it’s a cultural festival, a live comedy special, an exclusive family event, or an unforgettable outdoor adventure—year after year—people from all over come to experience first-hand the lure of Durant; small-town charm combined with a western flare and a much-celebrated history of Native American Indians.
It’s Spring time and once again Durant (OK), a population of 20,000, offers a burgeoning calendar of events, providing experienced travelers, residents, families and visitors with a full menu of attractions, events, and activities for everyone getting ready to get back out there again and enjoy the weather!
To save you all the trouble of having to look, I have put together an amazing list of events for the month of April to get you out of the house and enjoying the best of Durant (OK). Check it out here:
- Turnpike Troubadours @ Choctaw Casino & Resort (Grand Theater), April 1st. A gritty, country-leaning roots rock band out of eastern Oklahoma, this band synthesizes populist, political folk and outlaw-styled honky tonk with doses of bluegrass, Cajun, and straight-out rock dynamics. Fronted by singer and guitarist Evan Felker and including bassist R.C. Edwards, fiddler Kyle Nix, guitarist Ryan Engleman, and drummer Gabe Pearson, the group celebrates and explores modern rural life with a full awareness of history, delicately avoiding being ornate revivalists. This is no April Fools! Don’t miss it – Get your tickets here!
- Annual Fort Washita Rendezvous, March 28 to April 2nd – Any mountaineers out there? If so, you’re in luck as Durant hosts the Fort Washita Rendezvous at the Fort Washita – Highway 199 between Madill and Durant. Featuring mountain men, traders, trappers, vendors, contests and more, this FREE family event is what makes Durant, OK the destination location for family fun. For more information call 580-924-6502
- Texoma Spring Garden Show, April 7th and 8th – Calling all green thumbs! The spring garden show hosted by the Bryan County Master Gardeners Association. With free admission, free seeds and door prizes, there is no reason to miss this event. For more information call 580-230-0581 or like Texoma Garden Show on Facebook.
- Durant Riding Club Family Fun Playday Series, April 8th – Any cowboys and cowgirls out there looking for some good clean fun at the Rodeo? Then I know just where you need to be on April 8th – the Durant Riding Club Arena invites you to come on down to S 9th Ave, in Durant and show the world how you ride! For more information contact Jeff Edelen at 580-920-5400 or look for Durant Riding Club Rodeo on Facebook.
- Annual Kiwanis Easter Egg Hunt, April 15th – April is not April without Easter and Easter is nothing without the Kiwanis Easter hunt. With a heritage of service to its community of Durant, the Kiwanis Club of Durant has been recognized as one of the truly outstanding service clubs in its community. Now in its 65th year of “altruistic service” to Durant and Bryan County, they continue to build on a foundation of serving through service. To help the Kiwanis celebrate and to learn more about the Easter Hunt, visit, www.durantkiwanis.org.
- Paul Anak @ Choctaw Casino & Resort (Grand Theater), April 29th – It has been a good year for Paul, the 75-year-old Diane singer married Lisa Pemberton at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills last October and is still delighting audiences on a world tour – what a way to stay young! Come spend an evening with the newlywed and catch a glimpse of his fountain of youth. You can get your tickets here…
What else is going on? Take a look below at the Calendar of Events from the Durant Area Chamber of Commerce: 215 N 41″ Ave. Durant, OK 74701 580-924-0848 www.DurantChamber.org:
April 1— Gold & Blue Scholarship Gala
Location: Visual & Performing Arts Center (VPAC), Durant
Info: The Southeastern Oklahoma State University Alumni Association presents the annual Gold & Blue Scholarship Gala.
For more information: 580-745-2875
April 1— 3rd Annual Easter Egg Hunt
Time: 2:00 p.m.
Location: Rockin’ R Ranch — 6196 State Road 22, Bokchito
Info: Join Rockin’ R Ranch for a free egg hunt for ages 13 and under along with food, games and mini photo sessions by Leslie Spencer.
For more information: 580-295-3154
April 3-4 — Dallas Market Center Bus Trip with REI Women’s Business Center
Info: Join REI Women’s Business Center on a bus trip to Dallas Market Center. Get an introduction and tour of DMC, register and obtain credentials for DMC, get acquainted with DMC, pick up inventory and shop! Must qualify for Tax ID and be eligible to purchase wholesale.
For more information and to register: Lori Smith, Jennifer Edwards or Barbara Rackley at 800-658-2832
April 5, 12, 19, 26 — Coffee Network
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Location: Bryan County Health Department — 1524 Chuckwa Dr, Durant
Info: Join us for Coffee Network on Wednesday mornings! It’s a great way to promote your business, organization or event – all you have to do is bring a dollar and a business card. On the last Wednesday of each month we draw for the money so you won’t want to miss it! We hope to see you there.
For more information: 580-924-0848
April 6 —Throwback Thursdays at Wright’s Drive In
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Location: 319 S 9th Avenue, Durant
Info: Bring your classic car for display or just come out and enjoy the cool cars, fabulous food and more at Wright’s Drive-In every 15t Thursday of each month. Dust off your poodle skirts and leather jackets and join the fun! Sponsored by Nor-Tex A/C & Refrigeration.
For more information: 580-924-4793
April 8 — Kick Up Your Heels
Time: Registration at 10:00 a.m., Men’s Walk at 11:00 a.m.
Location: Market Square — & Evergreen, Durant
Info: Crisis Control Center invites you to join in this fun opportunity for men to educate the community about a very serious subject and to rally the community to take a stand against sexual violence. All ages are encouraged to attend and have a good time. It’s time to Kick Up Your Heels — Let’s Stomp Out Sexual Violence.
For more information and to register: 580-924-3030
April 8 —Texoma Masters Golf Tournament
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Location: Denison Country Club — 5216 FM 84, Denison
For more information and to register: 580-380-7664, www.texomamasters.com
April 8 — 3rd Annual Brady Rudolf Memorial Golf Tournament
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Chickasaw Pointe Golf Course — 12428 Chickasaw Pointe Rd, Kingston For more information: www.bradyrudolf.com
April 15, May 20 —4H Spring Fling Horse Show Buckle Series
Time: Books open at 7:00 a.m., Show starts at 8:30 a.m.
Location: Bryan County Fairgrounds — 1901 S 9th, Durant
Info: Hosted by the Bryan County 4H Horse Project members. 36 buckles to be given away! For more information: 580-916-1378 or email@example.com
April 18 — Ribbon Cutting: The Malcolm L. Krumme Community Garden & Learning Center
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Behind the Bryan County Health Department — 1524 Chuckwa Dr, Durant
Info: Join us for a Ribbon Cutting to celebrate the opening of the Malcolm L. Krumme Community Garden & Learning Center at the Bryan County Health Department.
For more information: 508-924-0848
April 20 — Veteran Information Day
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Location: Southeastern Oklahoma State University – Russell Building R300 — 425 W University, Durant
Info: Congressman Markwayne Mullin invites you to attend the Oklahoma 2nd District Veteran Information Day. For more information: Congressman Mullin’s Office — McAlester — 918-423-5951
April 22 — Great American Cleanup
Time: 9:00 — 11:30 a.m.
Location: Market Square — ft & Evergreen, Durant
Calling all businesses, clubs, organizations and individuals – we need your help to clean up Durant! The Keep Durant Clean & Green initiative includes a cleanup day on April 22 in conjunction with the Great American Cleanup beginning at 9:00 a.m. at Market Square located at 1st & Evergreen in Durant. Meet at Market Square to pick up supplies and to get a clean-up location assigned, or call the Chamber to secure a location ahead of time. The initiative also includes opportunities to Keep Durant Clean & Green all year-round with the Adopt an Area program — call the Chamber for info!
For more information: 580-924-0848, www.durantchamber.org
April 22 — Dancing with the Stars
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Location: Choctaw Event Center — 3702 Choctaw Rd, Durant
Info: Tickets on sale now for this Kentucky Derby themed event! Dazzle in your fanciest derby hat or dapper suit and enjoy an evening of entertaining dance performances as local stars compete to raise money for Durant Main Street. For more information: 580-924-1550, www.durantmainstreet.org
So what are you still doing reading? Go ahead and mark your calendars, get out those spring clothes and prepare for a spring to remember!
Don’t forget, this is by no means an exhaustive list of events taking place in Durant (OK), so be sure to check out these sites too: durantchamber.org, choctawcasinos.com, okhistory.org, and travelok.com.
If you happen to fall in love with the area, find yourself visiting year-after-year as often as many people do after their first visit, and want to see what home buying options are available for Starter homes – Vacation homes – Retirement homes – or just have questions, I would be glad to help – give me a call or send me an email today.